Man Booker Shortlist Announced
The Man Booker Prize shortlist was announced today.
The six finalists are:
- Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey (Faber and Faber)
- Room by Emma Donoghue (Picador; Pan Macmillan)
- In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut (Atlantic Books; Grove Atlantic)
- The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson (Bloomsbury)
- The Long Song by Andrea Levy (Headline Review; Headline Publishing Group)
- C by Tom McCarthy (Jonathan Cape; Random House)
Two early favorites, David Mitchell (The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet) and Christos Tsiolkas (The Slap) failed to make the cut. Oddsmakers have established Tom McCarthy as the 2:1 favorite to win the award. Donoghue and Galgut are at 3:1 with Carey (5:1), Levy (7:1), and Jacobson (8:1).
Each of the shortlisted authors will be awarded £2,500 (about $3,800), and the winner of the Booker will receive £50,000 (about $76,600). The winner will be announced on October 12th.